crapy clawn forums

don't u bored to play always same game since years with his "i aim the feet/birds i head shot"
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: WOW.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:13 pm 

6 million players currently subscribing to WOW...

Dev costs = team of 300 for 3 years getting $45K year = $40,500,000 (WAY high estimation)

$84,000,000 a month gross (est. $14/month subscription fee).

1 server = $10,000 (badass server + OS)... lets say they have (they don't) a thousand servers hosting the game. $10,000,000 once, paid off in less then a month.

A team of 100 admins for the servers making $50k a year each.. $5,000,000. Once a year. Paid off in the first month.

$214,500,000.00 gross, for the year.

+ game sales ($50 each for the 1.5 million users = $300,000,000.)

$84m x 12 months = $1,008,000,000.00 a year.

The game, in november, stands to make its 2nd billion dollars.

Is my math messed up or is that insane.

-edited for math.

Last edited by Agnt.Smith on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

developing cost isn't in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:57 pm 
BACON!!!

WoW is evil. it must be destroyed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:01 pm 

Also, my origional number was off, its 6 million people... adjusted main post to include that, an dev costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:27 pm 
resident debaucher

I'd love to see the collective numbers for the farming businesses.

I know when I played, I knew 5 or 6 people who spent $100 or more a month buying gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
$84m x 12 months = $1,008,000,000.00 a year.

explain the nuts and bolts of that equation.

also, i think blizzard is a privately held company. So yea, in anycase, they're rolling in the dough.

Also, your upkeep costs are going to be high, they still have devs working to maintain and expand the world. And tech support costs, and all the support necessary to run such a huge gameworld with such a huge population. You can just setup the servers and walk off for a 2 month vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:25 pm 

a BILLION in support? Nah.

84Million ($14/month x 6 million users) x 12 months = $1,008,000,000.

You honestly think they have more then 100 people still working on WOW?

Well, lets do a crazy estimate and say its now 1000 people each making $50k/year. Thats still only $50,000,000. Or maby 2000 people? $100,000,000 a year on maintaining a game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:32 pm 
are you laughin now, beeyotch?

What about Source?

The bon-bon and gravy costs alone have got to deal a crippling blow to their bottom line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:37 pm 

And that's why I'll never play a game that charges you for the game and a monthly fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:56 pm 
I AM GREAT

assrott wrote:
What about Source?

The bon-bon and gravy costs alone have got to deal a crippling blow to their bottom line.

I dealt a crippling blow to Gabe's bottom line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Coqui wrote:
And that's why I'll never play a game that charges you for the game and a monthly fee.

if you don't, then they'll just have to release crappy expansions that split the playerbase to make money.

what you should say is, "and that's why i'll never play an internet game that's made and maintained by a company trying to make money."

Cases where releasing expansions split the community:
Unreal Tournament
unreal tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Counter-Strike
Counterstrike: Condition Zero
Counterstrike: Source
Battlefield
Battlefield 2: SF
Battlefield 2: Euro Forces
Battlefield 2: Armored Fury
Battlefield 2142

And i'm sure there are others i don't have experience with.

pick your poison:
a broken community and no continued support for your game (CS)

A monthly fee.

now, granted, if you're paying a monthly fee and the devs aren't continually upgrading and improving the game to your liking, then stop paying and quit. It'd be like buying a game you know sucks. Don't do it.

Last edited by Agent_137 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm 

Hogg wrote:
assrott wrote:
What about Source?

I dealt a crippling blow to Gabe's bottom line.

I'll be dealin a crippling blow to your mahms bottom. Tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:04 pm 

Agent_137 wrote:
Coqui wrote:

if you don't, then they'll just have to release crappy expansions that split the playerbase to make money.

what you should say is, "and that's why i'll never play an internet game that's made and maintained by a company trying to make money."

Unreal Tournament
Counter-Strike
Battlefield
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142

pick your poison:

A monthly fee.

Eh. Play a game, enjoy, move on. I got waaaay more then my moneys worth out of BF1942 and Vietnam... I'm on the way to getting my moneys worth out of BF2... Prolly won't buy 2142 as i don't care for futurism.

Red Alert was THE KING. Red Alert 2 was awsomer...

UT was the height of the Unreal family, so I refuse to comment.

CS vs. CS:S... both suffer a similar fate, they were used as tools to sell a platform (steam) and a game engine.

Feable arguement for wasting moneys, agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:13 pm 
I AM GREAT

I can understand the distaste for pay-to-play games. I myself plan not to play any, because the kind of games that are pay-to-play just aren't appealing to me.

I don't understand antipathy toward them, though. The worth of an item is how much people are willing to pay for it. Obviously the people who do pay consider the game worth their money. That would be more than I could say for Source, if I played it for real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Eh. Play a game, enjoy, move on. I got waaaay more then my moneys worth out of BF1942 and Vietnam... I'm on the way to getting my moneys worth out of BF2... Prolly won't buy 2142 as i don't care for futurism.

Red Alert was THE KING. Red Alert 2 was awsomer...

UT was the height of the Unreal family, so I refuse to comment.

CS vs. CS:S... both suffer a similar fate, they were used as tools to sell a platform (steam) and a game engine.

Hardly. Not all of us like to play a game, enjoy, move on. Some like to stick with one game for a long time. I'm one of them. So your initial suggestion only applies to those who play games like you do.

I did not get my money out of bf2, far from it. I got way the fuck ripped off. Of course, it was my choice, but i still spent far more on that game per hour than any other game I've ever played.

And if UT was the height, then had the company had another type of income besides releasing another game, UT would still be one whole strong community. Now, it's 3 dying communities.

The bottom line is, how much do you spend to game per hour, and enjoy it?

You can't just say, "i won't pay to play ever," on the concept of saving money. You have to run the math. If you won't pay to play for moral reasons, whatever. But don't claim that you're saving money.

If you buy two new games a year, that's 100 bucks, assuming you don't buy any expansions or upgrade your comp to play it, or any other extra costs. You play the hell out of those games all year long. Good for you. You only spent 100 bucks on your hobby for a whole year. Cheap by all comparisons. In contrast, Eve for a year costs 150, no upgrades or expansions needed nor ever will they be paid for. So if you buy 3 new games a year, it's the -same damn thing-.

And since eve is monthly, (or any other pay to play, i only have experience with eve), you can quit anytime without having spent the whole hog. Play for a few months, want a new game, fine. Quit, buy a new game.

The outlier to these generalizations is Counter-strike. It was able to hold our attention since years with only 30 or 50 bucks spent, depending on when you bought half-life 1.

Oh wait, no, because we ended up buying CZ. And yea, I upgraded my comp for that.

Oh yea, and not long after, CS:S came out, split the community again, and i had to upgrade for that, too, and it still runs like shit.

edit:
p.s.
saw hoggs post after mine. I say, "yea."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:33 pm 

Agent_137 wrote:
Coqui wrote:

Unreal Tournament
unreal tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Counter-Strike
Counterstrike: Condition Zero
Counterstrike: Source
Battlefield
Battlefield 2: SF
Battlefield 2: Euro Forces
Battlefield 2: Armored Fury
Battlefield 2142

pick your poison:

A monthly fee.

now, granted, if you're paying a monthly fee and the devs aren't continually upgrading and improving the game to your liking, then stop paying and quit. It'd be like buying a game you know sucks. Don't do it.

Make the game free and pay the monthly fee for the servers. Or pay for the game and make server connections (a la Diablo) free. Don't do both. That's what my beef is. Not just that there's a monthly fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:34 pm 

arguements, like Agents moms, are inherently full of holes.

im just argueing with you, agent, because its the internet and thats its main purpose.

i agree with you, and acknowledge my own closemindedness..

i would also like to submit that i did not purchase* more then 1 game a year at any point of my life, unless you count budget purchases ($10 or less for old titles at walmart).

Hell, i didnt even buy HL1, my cousin did and dint like it...

*thanks to the internets "Try before you Buy" policy.

Last edited by Agnt.Smith on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:51 pm 
resident debaucher

I don't mind paying per month to play.

So I'm a dumbass? Probably.

I enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Make the game free and pay the monthly fee for the servers. Or pay for the game and make server connections (a la Diablo) free. Don't do both. That's what my beef is. Not just that there's a monthly fee.

i totally agree, coqui. Which is why i've played guildwars (no mo. fee, 1 initial purchase) and Eve (free to try, no initial purchase.) I also have a healthy distaste for the grind of most Mmorpgs. I don't want to have to work or do chores in my GAME. guildwars and eve are rather free of it.

smith: lawl, you cheap fucker. normal people with hobbies spend hundreds to thousands a year. Gaming is easily one of the cheapest hobbies to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:54 pm 
BACON!!!

i agree with coqui. i dont mind paying for a game or paying a monthly fee for a game. but i hate when they want you to pay for the game and then you have to pay each month to keep playing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:00 pm 

Agent_137 wrote:

smith: lawl, you cheap fucker. normal people with hobbies spend hundreds to thousands a year. Gaming is easily one of the cheapest hobbies to have.

blah blah house blah blah 2 cars blah blah rising price of gas blah blah 4 wrecked cards in 1 calander year blah blah travel blah blah lawyers for speeding blah blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

lawl, drive safer, buy more games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:19 pm 

nah. i only buy the ones required for online gaming... or the ones i honestly want to give someone money for.

the rest, like music, can be enjoyed for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:25 pm 
I AM GREAT

"the Internet's try-before-you-buy policy"

LAWL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:39 pm 

Agent_137 wrote:
Quote:

i totally agree, coqui. Which is why i've played guildwars (no mo. fee, 1 initial purchase) and Eve (free to try, no initial purchase.) I also have a healthy distaste for the grind of most Mmorpgs. I don't want to have to work or do chores in my GAME. guildwars and eve are rather free of it.

Theres a limitation by games set up like Diablo and Guild Wars though, which is very evident. You cannot play with more than like 8 people at a time, because the game worlds are hosted client side (at least with Diablo it was, not so sure how the servers work with Guild Wars, but the player interaction is still limited). With pay to play MMOs, since they have dedicated servers for the games, you can have a shit load of people in one area. It just depends on what you want to do with a game.