crapy clawn forums

don't u bored to play always same game since years with his "i aim the feet/birds i head shot"
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: hotline miami
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am 
Site Admin

More like Shitline Miami. Do not buy.

First game I've ever regretted spending 5 dollars on. The controls are horrible. Alien Swarm, Shadowgrounds, Magicka, and Alien Shooter all do top down fast action much better.

More specifically:

Why do i have to have an entirely separate button to restart the level when you're expected to die a lot? Just make it use the trigger button.

Why do I have to push a separate button before I can start bashing a prone enemy's head in? Why doesn't tapping the attack button while standing on them just automatically go into head bashing mode?

Why is there even a mechanic for standing still, free looking around, and then selecting a target? What's wrong with just running in, pointing the cursor at the target, and clicking the attack button until they're dead? If I wanted to go in all sneaky beaky like, I'd play Mark of the Ninja.

Graphics this horrible are not cute. They're not an 80s throwback. They're just extremely horrible.

Why isn't my level progress saved when I exit? Do i have to complete the entirety of part one to get it to save?

I wish I could pay some one to get this crap out of my steam library.

Post subject: Re: hotline miami
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 pm 

You're the first person I've seen to hate this game. I have yet to play it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've played the shit out of top down fast action games. Maybe it's the first exposure to the genre for the people who enjoy it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I've played the shit out of top down fast action games. Maybe it's the first exposure to the genre for the people who enjoy it?
I seriously doubt it's a first exposure thing since the press (RPS, Eurogamer, etc) also loved it.

That's not to say the game isn't actually bad -- I've lost count of the games I thought were shit but everyone else seems to eat up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 pm 

I've been playing this, so here's an update:
Quote:
Why do i have to have an entirely separate button to restart the level when you're expected to die a lot? Just make it use the trigger button.
A minor issue IMO (maybe I just died less than you did), but yes this is dumb. Combined with lack of volume controls, resolution control, custom key bindings (not that you'd really need them), this is a minimum effort PC port
Quote:
Why do I have to push a separate button before I can start bashing a prone enemy's head in? Why doesn't tapping the attack button while standing on them just automatically go into head bashing mode?
Most frustrating thing is the bashing and the retarded hitboxes (bullets going through an enemy if you're standing too close, etc)
Quote:
Why is there even a mechanic for standing still, free looking around, and then selecting a target? What's wrong with just running in, pointing the cursor at the target, and clicking the attack button until they're dead? If I wanted to go in all sneaky beaky like, I'd play Mark of the Ninja.
You can keep moving while you're in that mode. It just increases your range of vision since the camera isn't centered on you anymore, making it easier to make long range gun shots.
Quote:
Graphics this horrible are not cute. They're not an 80s throwback. They're just extremely horrible.
Graphics are stylized, but I couldn't care less about graphics these days. A bigger issue is that once you start piling bodies, it's hard to tell if there's still a live one in there.
Quote:
Why isn't my level progress saved when I exit? Do i have to complete the entirety of part one to get it to save?
I'm guessing they fixed this bug since I haven't seen it.

Overall, I think it's pretty good, but it lacks some polish that makes it more frustrating than challenging at most points. I don't think it lives up to the hype around it and it doesn't really play the same as other top down action games. It's more about points and killing style (a la Ninja Gaiden, DMC) than anything else.