crapy clawn forums

don't u bored to play always same game since years with his "i aim the feet/birds i head shot"
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: gg BF 2142
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:36 pm 

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/centipedes ... 207955.php

Battlefield 2142 With a Dash of Spyware
So. In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.
When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware shit. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).

Can you imagine how much the ad companies are paying for this information? Makes me feel a little ill.

And from /. :
Quote:
On a peculiar note, even though the world is ending in 2142, it appears that advertising will still be around. Battlefield 2142 features in-game ads, though we didn't get to see them firsthand during our testing. Still, there is a printed disclaimer that comes with the game telling you that Battlefield 2142 will analyze certain "advertising data" on your machine to determine what ads to display to you. Ironically, EA says that if you don't want your data shared with its advertising partner then "do not install or play the software on any platform that is used to connect to the Internet." But that would pretty much defeat the purpose of playing Battlefield 2142, wouldn't it? Of course, you could always play single-player against the artificial intelligence, though the AI won't be mistaken for human opponents any time soon, and the single-player is still limited to 16-player maps. Still, this is an example of things to come, as we begin to see dynamic in-game ads appear in more and more games.
This shit is ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:48 pm 
are you laughin now, beeyotch?

I can't believe Gabe didn't do this first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 am 
Site Admin

steam?

he just doesn't share with other advertisers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 am 

Quote:
steam?

he just doesn't tell us that he shares with other advertisers.
fixt.