crapy clawn forums

don't u bored to play always same game since years with his "i aim the feet/birds i head shot"
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 am 

Right. This gets its own thread, for this bit of hilarity alone:
Let's start here-
http://www.penny-arcade.com/
Quote:
like all people with an Internet connection we were also quite curious about [Dead Island].

The version of the game we played was apparently not the actual version of Dead Island, a matter we discuss in today’s strip.

There were dark intimations of PC purity being corrupted by foul console toys, UI mismatch and so forth, when these kinds of artifacts are mostly to do with a multiplatform development environment and the fact that, in this case, this build should never have seen public scrutiny. Unless the concern has to do with the fact that games are made for multiple platforms at all, in which case… you need to right click on your mind and do a manual sync with reality, maybe.

The charge is especially funny because, to me, this game is so PC it hurts. Personal Computer, not Politically Correct, although you’ve got the standard harangues about not being able to slaughter children. No, this has got all the hallmarks of the innovative, out of the way PC darling: poorly explained, often goofy, just on the edge of technological wreckage, and yet still, in a wholly inexplicable fashion, relentlessly intriguing.

Even with this wholly sundered piece of software, we managed to connect once in an afternoon otherwise littered with lost packets and uninvited stranger joins. The rest of the time was spent being invaded by the likes of “Poopship McGee” and other handles which followed the same algorithmic form. But those ten perfect, functioning minutes… my goodness. We saw, indeed, we inhabited their intention, however briefly: a cooperative, open world, survival RPG. It’s a dream so vast that it very nearly has mass; I’m tempted to laud them merely for attempting it. The actual version is up now, in the US at least. I’m prepared to spend as much time as it takes finding those ten minutes again.

(CW)TB out.
http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/rss.php
Quote:
Here’s the latest from us on Dead Island PC for North American users. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused to fans who wanted to spend their day crushing some zombie skulls. Thank you very much for your continued patience and support and we are completely committed to ensuring that you have an excellent time with our game.

· First, the correct version of the title is now available on Steam and fans are able to download it now.

· Second, the day 1 patch notes in their entirety are below. Please note that this update may cause incompatibilities between the incorrect version of Dead Island that was released and the fixed version and cause a wipe on some saved data. However, we have a solution to help regain some quest progress: When the game opens, select New Game -> Select the same character as you were using before, and then there will be an option for "Chapter Select" which will allow the player to jump to the last chapter they were playing in.

· Third, Deep Silver plans to announce a “make up” to North American fans who were affected by the day 1 PC issues, stay tuned in coming days for those details as internal discussions are ongoing on our end.

· Fourth, the Bloodbath DLC is still on schedule as planned – fans who preordered the title will still receive the Bloodbath DLC when it launches (date will be announced shortly!) as stated previously.

· Fifth, we are aware of The Ripper activation bug which will not load as a result of the version update and this will be fixed in the next game patch, coming soon.
So, they released a totally wrong build.
Anyone played the "right" version yet?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 am 

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/digita ... ?iid=22757

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am 

Alright, Superspck and I are both convinced to give this one a solid shot. Hearing nothing but positives about it in reviews and our own Snowpea's recommendations:
Quote:
superspck: So how's the "real" version of the game?
Snow PEA: quite nice.
Snow PEA: if you like stomping zombies into a mudhole
superspck: I do.
superspck: And I've heard a lot of positive stuff about the consoles.
superspck: When did you get the right version downloaded?
Snow PEA: thursday
Snow PEA: for co op
Snow PEA: game worked for single player tuesday
superspck: Does it look or feel better?
Snow PEA: yes and yes.
Snow PEA: graphics are much nicer.
Snow PEA: network is 2000% better.
superspck: cool
superspck: I made a thread about it in the forums. You should post that so we can start making others consider it.
So looking for others who want in a 4-pack (4-pack is $150 = $37.50 each, saves you $12). So far Super and myself are in on it; but need 2 more...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm 

Hello all, as some of you may have noticed. i have been playing Dead island a good amount this week (24 hours so far). Some have asked that I write a review on what I thought of the game.

-=[Dead island.... a Snow Pea Review]=-

Dead Island is a Mixture of "Dead Rising" - "Left 4 Dead" - "Fallout".

-=Control=-
The controls are good. The character responds well to the commands given to him.
You have a stamina bar for all your running/jumping/kicking/swinging weapons.
You can jump kick zombies in the face but it takes a good chunk of stamina.
I do like the vehicle driving.

My Complaints are
Jumping is a little wonky sometimes. Objects push you way when you jump into them. So climbing sometimes can be a little bit annoying. There have been no jump puzzles so far.
Mouse 5 doesn’t bind (don’t know if this has been fixed)

-=Sound =-
The sound is ok.
Music is ok.
Voice acting is ok.

My Complaints are
Sometimes there is too much ambient noise. When I think less would be more.
Position a zombie’s location by sound isn’t 100%. I wish this was better. You get a general direction but not an AIM THERE direction.
Voice Chat is built in but it is auto activate instead of button push.

-=Graphics=-
I find the graphics to be pretty dang good. It runs quite smooth on my system.
My complaints are
I wish there was a way to turn off BLOOM.
Animation is ok but not great.
Sometimes when bringing up the steam overlay it brings up a cursor a top of game.
To edit some of the Graphics option and FOV you have to modify files in your My Documents folder instead of in Game.

-=Gameplay=-
-Single player-
Single player experience is solid. I think it more than competes with “Dead Rising” for Single Player experience. I think it is a little tougher on single player just because the Special monsters are tough. But a lot of the random Special monsters can just be circumvented.

My complaint is that there is no difficulty level. I would love to have it where zombies were stronger and more of them. I want to see Waves of zombies!

-Multiplayer-
Multiplayer is fun and the experience would be close to L4d. It is definitely less difficult that l4d2 on expert but once you hit one of the special infected it will make you wish you did more damage.

Some quests require all the party members to be present; some of these will allow the other party members to hit B to quickly teleport next to the quest item.

My complaints are
Quests are not completed by people who join the game. This is retarded and I hope it is fixed. I think it should be like Diablo where if you join the game and a quest is completed it is marked off on your quest list.
When a quest is completed you have to go talk to the quest giver yourself to get the prize. So if someone turns in a quest you have to also go to the same place to get the prize.
I wish the hud for multiplayer was like l4d so you can always see what peoples health are.

-=General=-
I like the game a lot. I thinks it’s a pretty solid 40$ buy. I don’t think it is refined as l4d or Dead Rising but it is bringing more to the table.
I think it has huge DLC potential. Survivor mode has already been announced.
I believe if they add versus mode it will easily compete with l4d, especially if it keeps the wide open maps.

Guns are in the game. And they are beast because head shots count on humans and lower infected. Specials do take a few more head shots. They are all over the place in the second act, but you should still count ammo. you can craft/find ammo. (always use IRON SIGHTS).

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. If you do the "One good deed" quest. ask me about the joke.

Attachments:
File comment: Zombie parts stuck in a fence after ramming said zombies with a truck.
2011-09-08_00002.jpg
2011-09-08_00002.jpg [ 340.21 KiB | Viewed 8815 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 pm 

Quote:
So looking for others who want in a 4-pack (4-pack is $150 = $37.50 each, saves you $12). So far Super and myself are in on it; but need 2 more...
Use Green Man Gaming. There's a 20% off coupon (20SUM-MERSA-VINGS should work), bringing it down to $40 and after one person buys it, you can use the refer-a-friend and you both get a $5 credit. They frequently have pre-order sales, so the credit will probably be useful in the future (e.g. both DXHR and Dead Island were ~$35 as pre-orders).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I feel like I have enough games to keep me busy at the moment, more than enough, actually, but if you need a 4th I'd be down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 am 

Just pulled a metacritic score of 82:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dead-island
Quote:
The key is the combat system, in which you can't simply wave a katana back and forth till Kingdom come, letting zombies shamble blindly into the blade. Combat is based on stamina, and when this runs out after a few hearty and hopefully carefully aimed swings, you can't so anything until you've caught your breath. Furthermore, when you get hit, damage affects your stamina along with your health. It makes sense that a zombie swipe would knock the wind out of you. So the bottom line is that you don't want to spend much time within arm's reach of a zombie, no matter how much health you've got.

You're not the only one who has to worry about stamina; Zombies have it as well, displayed as clearly as their health. This means you can knock them about to keep them from attacking back, and it also gives the weapons truly unique roles. A hammer will stun a zombie, while a machete will really hurt him. The hammer manages the crowd, the machete seals the deal. The result is a fantastic melee combat system about exhaustion, severed limbs, knockback, broken knives, hacking the unholy heck out of this damned zombie, and buckets and buckets of blood. So much blood. Lots of blood. Who would have thought these things could have so much blood in them?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:28 pm 

alrighty bastards. I need a committed 3rd and 4th for a 4 pack of this game. Agent gave a mild committment to be a 3rd, but no other responses. Superspck and I are both good with it...just need two more. Who else wants more zombie killing goodness? A little survival horror? Do a little scavaging for bullets and huge knives and hammers with which to club zombies in the head and make their heads xplodes? Come on, you know you all wants it! As a 4 pack it'll come to $37.50 each! Can't get a better deal! Go for it!
Who wants it?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am 
resident debaucher

I talked to some friends who have this for PC - apparently its a buggy, unfinished mess. Basically a lazy console port. If you guys want to go ahead and buy, more power to you, but I already have a zombie game I love.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 pm 

Alright, after playing this for a couple days here's my take (and snowpea or superspck may have some changes additions):

DI is a great zombie killing romp. It's all about the cooperative collective ass-kicking of the undead. One zombie is easy. Two is do-able. 4-zombies against one person is a real problem. Hence the team-work and consistant watching eachother's ass. The firearms are mildly rare, and bullets (and inventory to carry a lot of them) are the same. So most combat is done with melee weapons or just plain kicking the shit out of the undead.

Long Explanation: SPOILER! Highlight it to read it.
This actually works well with the balance of characters (of the four each specializes in certain things: Blunt weapons, sharp weapons, thowing shit, and firearms). Playing with Superspck he was working the blunt weapons, I worked thrown stuff. I'd throw shit at the first zombie to come at us, then let him take the 2nd/3rd, then I'd watch the flanks/rear and take care of any others we attracted while he finished the main assault. While watching the sides I'd also watch those he'd already knocked to the ground and do my best to keep them their with kicks/thowing more shit until we could finish each of them off. A lot of the game is about working your strong points to work with the team to manage large groups of zombies.

On the annoing side: There are a lot of graphical errors right now, they dont have support for eyefinity (had to DL a user-created patch), but the game connects to others well and is fully playable. All weapons have a 'durability' to them that degrades annoyingly fast. On the plus side the repair stations are frequent. There is also a full RPG aspect to the game, with each character having 3 different skill trees to choose from. It's a fairly basic "choose 1 of 3 skill trees, then choose 1 of 3 individual bonuses you want to invest points in each time you level". Doesnt require a master's degree in AD&D or thick horn-rimmed glasses, but does add a lot of customization to each character.

As a final recommendation: We've put probably 12 hours into it and are maybe halfway through the 2nd area of 4. While I see many of the Clawn getting frustraited with parts of the game (I can hear Agent rage out in my head all the time; we do die A LOT...fortunately it's nearly instant respawn with only a small cash loss), there is nothing like chucking a knife into a zombies neck before jump-kicking him to the ground and then curb-stomping his head until it explodes. Any game that lets you do that is fun. With BF3 coming in the next few days I'd say hold off, but with a good thanksgiving/christmas sale I could see many enjoying this one for the next year or two (much like borderlands).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 am 

It's a solid solid game and I'm happy to have it.
FarCry4Dead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:18 pm 

HUD fix for eyefinity set-ups for this game:

http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/ ... d-menu-fix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 pm 

Quote:
On September 27, 2011, Lionsgate has announced that they have acquired rights to develop a film based on the game and will be produced by Sean Daniel (Rat Race, Tombstone, The Mummy franchise).
Potential.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 pm 

One more link to add in here:

"Director's Cut Mod" features (read though the last link for a full set of changes):
Quote:
Mod Highlights
- More involved and demanding combat. I tried to refine and highlight the best aspects of Dead Island's combat and tie it together into a deeper combat system where you are rewarded for properly assessing the situation and acting tactically

Fundamentals
- Precision strikes to the head give you quick kills

- Different enemy groups can make for very different feeling fights

- Less predictable enemy reactions keep you on your toes

- You can stay in control of big fights by taking advantage of each situation, and you don't have to spam-kick the whole time
-------------

Tactics
- Normal attacks to the body work towards knock down, but do no health damage to Walkers and little to infected

- Weapon mods are useful and take full effect. A crit even to the body can make your enemies bleed out, burn to a crisp, or dance while being electrocuted
- Added base critical chance of 5% to all weapon types to highlight mod effects (3.1)

- Hits to a Walker's arms break and dismember them easily, doing little damage but setting up a killshot

- Strong blunt attacks to the leg will up-end zombies
- Very strong blunt attacks to the body will knock-out as well (3.1 reduces overall Walker stamina)

- Walker health parameters re-adjusted to balance weapons upgrades and crit effects (3.2)
- A semi-decent weapon should be required for a one-shot killing blow to the head
- Hits to Walker legs now cause a minor amount of damage so you can trigger the more varied animations as well as see the damage effects

- Walkers have less predictable reaction animations when you hit them. Now the result of a successful attack will be more varied, forcing you to assess and respond quickly (in vanilla you could always tell what animation would play based on your weapon/enemy hitpoint/where you were standing, etc..) (3.2)

Review of Mod here:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/22/dead- ... 0&ns_fee=0

Steam Forums link for download here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2119196

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm 

Posting these here, will clean this up and check them each...basicaly just organizing all the good mods and getting them saved in the forums for when others actually get this game and start playing it.

superspck: 5 dead island mods I want to try:

Director's Cut Updated to 3.4 (same as above, just the updated version of it)
superspck: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2119196

HD texture pack
superspck: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/dead ... 39829.html
From the comments seems to be in a bit of a beta stage yet (good, but limited in variety...hopefully he keeps updating)

Amputator-Tots MOD
superspck: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2198839
Quote from creator: "every weapon amputates or breaks limbs (depends on the damage type) each time you
connect with a limb. Guns are now extremely fun (especially the shotguns)"

Decapitator-Tots Mod
superspck: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2204866
"Like the name suggests, every weapon smashes or blows the head off each time you
connect with their head. Guns are now extremely fun (especially the shotguns)."

Dead Island Helper: Automatically improve performance and apply tweaks without having to edit files
superspck: http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-and-u ... dit-files/